Sunday, September 5, 2010

Mascara reviews; Maybelline Colossal and Fiberwig finisher

Hi all,
So the first Mascara I can't stop smiling about is Maybelline's Colossal, it's so good!! I've been using it for 2 months now, before this i've been using Dior Show (in black) for years.
picture from Superdrug.com
The Colossal holds my curl just as well as Dior's and is so much cheaper. Dior show in black is around £20.50, and the Colossal is only £6.99. Both these mascara's build up volume, however the Colossal gives more volume than Dior in my opinion, it also does a good job of keeping my lashes separate. I really love this mascara and definitely will purchase this from now on, and it's great to know i'm saving money on a mascara which performs just as well as a high-end brand.
I normally apply two coats.

(+) Affordable
(+) Holds my curls very well, no panda eyes or smudging but very easy to remove
(+) Gives good volume
(-) If I apply more than 2 coats my lashes begin to look clumpy
Overall: 5/5 Definitely recommend this!!
 -----------------------------------------------
Now on to Fiberwig finisher;
Picture from amazon.com

Note to self: NEVER rely on a guy to buy you the correct make-up!

A friend went to Hong Kong recently and I asked him to help me buy the infamous Fiberwig mascara. However he bought me the finisher instead, which is a smaller version with a tiny brush that is bent. 
Fiberwig, for those that don't know, is famous for their paint-on false lash effect, the mascara has tiny fibers which cling on to your lashes when applied and makes your lashes longer; to look like false lashes. 
The fiberwig finisher (also known as the tiny sniper- how cute?!) is designed for the hard-to-reach lashes such as the ones on the corners and your bottom lashes. 
I attempted to use the finisher on all my lashes, hoping it would perform the same as the normal fiberwig, however it gave me spider lashes!! Wasn't a great look.
I used it again after applying my normal mascara and only using the finisher on the lower lashes and the ones in the corner. The bent brush was very useful and made application so much easier, i didn't have to bend my arms all over the place and switch hands etc. The formulae, was unfortunately too wet for the fibers to work, none of them clung on to my lashes, but i'm sure the more i use it, the more it will dry up so the fibers will work better. 

(+) The brush is very handy to get all the difficult lashes
(-) The fibers didn't cling on to my lashes to make them longer
(-) Only suitable for lower lashes and hard to reach lashes, not as a proper mascara

Overall: 3/5, it's definitely something i don't need, I can pretty much reach all my lashes with a normal mascara, so i don't see a point in investing into another smaller mascara that does the same job.

I hope these reviews were useful!
*Do any of you ladies know a great waterproof mascara that holds your curls?*
Lots of love <3