Sunday, June 19, 2011

How To: Manicure

The following post is a written example of how I perform my weekly manicure on myself and on clients. Some of you may not know but I am a qualified nail technician and this is how I was taught to perform manicures in my classes.


Currently the items that I use for my manicure and pedicure are all from the company "Natural Look" because I feel that if you use products from the same line work better because they are designed to work together in the same step system.

I am in no way affiliated with Natural Look and I bought all these products with my own money.

Step One - Cuticles:
 
I use the spoon and of a cuticle pusher to push back my cuticles. I then apply the Natural Look Erase cuticle remover and wait 2 minutes before using the blade on the cuticle pusher to remove my cuticles.
I NEVER cut my cuticles. The cuticle protects the nail from bacteria that could infect the nail and cause damage and cutting it creates a risk of bacteria getting in.


Step Two - Filing:

Next I file my nails using a 180/180 grit file, the one I use is the Grey Fox file from EzyFlow. I shape the free edge of my nail and then lightly file the surface of the nail to remove any ridges. I then use a nail brush to dust away any filing dust.
I then use a double sided buffer with a 220/280 grit, the one I use is the Sand Shark buffer from EzyFlow. I use the 220 grit side first to buff the surface of the nail and then do the same with the 280 grit side, brushing away the filing dust at the end of each step.
After the double sided buffer, I use a shine buffer to buff my nails to a high shine, the one I use is the Killer While buffer from EzyFlow.

NOTE: Make sure to remove the filing dust in between each file to prevent scratching the surface of the nail
Also, don't file to harshly or too often, this will make the nail thinner and more prone to breaking


Step Three - Soak Nails:
 Next, I fill a small bowl with warm water and pour some Natural Look Hand and Nail Softening Soak. This softens the skin and cuticles and contains tea tree, chamomile, lavender and peppermint which are used for their antiseptic and therapeutic qualities. I soak my nails in this for about 15 minutes.
If my nails have had a lot of exposure to nail polish and are looking a little yellow, I add a teaspoon of OPI Effervescent Soak which helps to lift the stains in my nails easily. I still soak my nails for the same amount of time.


Step Four - Exfoliate:
When my hands are looking particularly dull and dry, I exfoliate my hands using Natural Look Hand and Body Exfoliating Gel. This gel contains lavender, rosemary, geranium and tea tree essential oils and has a sandy gritty texture. I massage this into my hands and then wash away using warm water. The good thing about this stuff is that you can use it on your body as well, I often use it on my elbows because they get dry easily.


Step Five - Moisturize:
After drying off my hands, I apply Natural Look Hand and Nail Moisture and massage it into my hands. This moisturizers is thicker than any other I have used which I find better because you use less. It also sinks into the skin faster than any other hand cream I have used and protects from damaged caused by weather, water and chemicals.
The final step to my manicure is to apply Natural Look Nourish cuticle oil which helps to keep your cuticles soft and nourished. Using this will also help retain moisture in your nails so that they are more flexible and less prone to breakage.


After Care:

On a daily basis I apply my Natural Look Hand and Nail Moisture and also apply a small amount of Natural Look Cuticle Therapy Cream to your cuticles.


Hopefully this has given you a short written tutorial of my manicure. I film a tutorial and post it here in the future if I get any interest.