Thursday, June 30, 2011

My Skincare Routine & Favourite Skincare Products


A few people have asked me what my skincare routine is and what products I use so here it is for those who are interested! I have a normal skin type most of the time but it can become dry in winter and it's also slightly sensitive. My routine is fairly fuss-free and simple. Here's what I would do morning and night.......


Morning:
Tone and moisturise. I don't tend to cleanse in the morning because I don't ever feel the need to - I think that over-cleansing is not always a good thing especially if your skin is on the dry side. If I need a sun protection I will use that instead of my moisturiser. I'll exfoliate in the morning too with a scrub every so often.

Night:
Cleanse, tone, moisturise. If I've been wearing false lashes I'll use a separate eye make-up remover to my regular cleanser. Sometimes I'll use a serum at night underneath my moisturiser (mainly just in winter when my skin is drier) and I use an eye cream too whenever I remember!


Here are the products that I like to use and which work well for my skin type.......





























Cleansing:

Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser - This is hands down the best cleanser I've tried. I've been using it for about 3 years now. It's quite a thick cream but it's very gentle and you can use it over your eyes too without irritation. It comes with muslin cloths which are fantastic since they act as a mild exfoliant and leave your skin really soft. The cleanser is really effective at getting rid of every last trace of make-up and this is one I would recommend over and over again!

Aveda Pure Comfort Eye Makeup Remover - I'll only use a separate eye make-up remover like this if I've been wearing false lashes. I've found that some eye make-up removers have stung my eyes in the past but this one doesn't at all. I'll soak a cotton pad with this and hold it on my eyes for a good few minutes to let it dissolve the make-up and lash glue. It then gently wipes away without having to rub your eyes too much which is never something you want to do!


Toning:

Liz Earle Instant Boost Skin Tonic - This is a very gentle toner and it's alcohol-free which is brilliant since it won't dry out the skin. It's full of natural ingredients like aloe vera, chamomile and cucumber which are very soothing and great for sensitive skins. It also gets rid of any last remaining traces of make-up. 


Moisturising:

Kiehl's Ultra Facial Moisturiser - The Kiehl's moisturiser is another product which I've used for years. It's not too thick but I find that it's very hydrating and it works great under make-up. There's no heavy fragrance so it's good for sensitive skin.

MAC Strobe Cream - This is a moisturiser which has luminizing particles in it. It's great for wearing during the day under a light foundation for an extra glow. It's not as hydrating as the Kiehl's so I'll use this mainly in summer.

Kiehl's Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado - This particular cream is only for moisturisation so it's quite basic but it does it's job well and doesn't irritate my skin. I'm quite interested in trying the Origins eye creams next though.

Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair - Unlike a moisturiser which will only be absorbed into the first few layers of skin, a serum seeps down further into more layers so it helps to repair the condition of the skin more effectively. I love this Estee Lauder one because I find it really does help to clear up any dry patches which I get around my nose in winter and my skin is left very smooth and hydrated after using it.


Exfoliating:

Liz Earle Gentle Face Exfoliator - This is a gorgeous exfoliating cream. It doesn't leave skin feeling tight or dry since it has cocoa butter in it. I find my skin is left extremely soft after using this.


Sun Protection:

Shiseido Extra Smooth Sun Protection Lotion SPF30 - This is the only sun cream which has not irritated the skin on my face so I definitely won't be without this one! It also goes on matte so it's absolutely perfect for under make-up.



Has anyone else tried any of these products? Do let me know what you think of them!