Monday, May 16, 2011

My Top Must-Have Beauty Products For Summer






 




1. SPF
The best sun cream I've found is the Shiseido Extra Smooth Sun Protection Lotion SPF 30 which is for both face and body. This is the only one that I've tried which doesn't leave me with a sticky, greasy face. It actually goes on matte which is amazing since it's therefore perfect to wear under make-up. It doesn't smell the best (well actually it smells quite bad!) but I can tolerate that if it means less sun damage for my skin! For lips I like to use the Nivea Lip Care Sun which is SPF 30.

2. Bright Nail Polish
Summer is definitely the time to go to town with bright nail colours! I think Barry M is always a great brand for brights and they even have a neon range of nail paints. 

3. Sheer Foundation
I always tend to go for lighter foundations in summer time. I'm not sure too many people like wearing thick, heavy make-up in hot weather! I really like Make Up For Ever's Face & Body Foundation. It offers sheer coverage with a healthy dewy finish. It's also water based so it's very lightweight and comfortable. It's suitable for all skin types and the icing on the cake is that it's water resistant once it has set which is really brilliant for summertime. 

4. Bright Lipstick
A vibrant lipstick is always a fun option for summer and looks great with a bit of a bronze glow. I don't think you can beat MAC for their range of bright shades. 'Lustering' (a bright watermelon pink) is a summer favourite of mine.

5. Metallic Eyeshadow
I think a wash of a metallic eyeshadow on the lids looks really gorgeous in the sunshine. MAC pigments are brilliant for getting a great metallic effect especially when they're foiled (used wet). I love the shade Gold Mode and both Melon and Tan look very pretty on tanned skin.  

6. Bronzer
I think bronzer is a summer essential for warming up the skin. My favourite is the Dior Bronze Matte Sunshine and I use the shade 002 Honey Matte. 

7. Hair Treatment
I use hair treatments all year round but I think they're really important in summer to give moisture back to your hair which the sun has taken away especially if you have colour treated hair. The Kerastase Chroma Riche treatment is the creme de la creme  of hair treatments as far as I'm concerned! It's the only one I've tried which doesn't weigh my hair down or leave a horrible residue. If you have extremely fine and colour treated hair I think you will love this one! If you're a real sun worshiper Kerastase also do a whole Soleil range of hair care products.

8. Fake Tan
Having skin that would give a vampire a run for their money, fake tan is definitely a must-have for me when showing a bit more skin during summer. Tried, tested and loved by me are St Tropez and Xen Tan. I'm currently trying out He-Shi tan and so far I think it's fairly good. I'm not sure if it beats the others but I may do a full review in another post soon. 

9. Exfoliating Gloves
Not the most exciting of products but these gloves are fantastic! They work a whole lot better than any scrub and they only cost a few euro from Boots! Exfoliating your skin to get rid of dead skin cells really helps to make it look a lot healthier and of course smoother. It's also an absolute must to keep exfoliating regularly when using fake tan to prevent it from going patchy or scaly. 

10. Body Moisturiser
Another essential for keeping your skin in good nick. The one I love to use in summer is the Boots Coconut & Almond Body Butter. Coconut is one of my favourite smells and this is brilliant if you have dry skin. Another love of mine is the Shiseido Energizing Body Cream which makes skin incredibly smooth and smells like heaven! (sadly I can't afford this one too often though!). 



What are anyone else's essential summer products?